12/05/2013

DESERTED


PHOTOS BY JELENA CANDOLIN, EDIT BY ME. TO SEE SOME OF THE ORIGINAL PHOTOS CLICK HERE.


This was about a month ago. In a deserted house. With Jelena, her assisting friend and six sacks of flour. I do admit it, I was kind of spooked about going there (especially since that house was next to Turku's old deserted penitentiary, Kakola). But at the same time royally excited. I have this fixation on old decayed places, you see. It's fascinating trying to imagine what it was like years ago when the place was still alive bustling with people. This building had been an old village store. The first floor (where we mainly shot at) was the shopping space for customers and the next two floors up were huge spaces for storage. We did check those out too, but since there weren't too many windows for light to enter we chose not to shoot there. Anyhow this is what we ended up with. Even as I can't say I enjoyed being buried in flour or afterwards getting a cold I'm glad I did it because these turned out really nice! I got so excited editing these with my brand new computer and brand new Photoshop that I had no choice but to publish them right away. Also, I think it's always a good experience for a photographer to put him or herself in a model's position. That way you'll hopefully learn to become a considerate photographer and most likely provide a far more pleasant experience for the model as well (which in turn will give you a good reputation and thus more people will be willing to work with you). I have to say, though, sometimes when I get really excited about shooting someone I'll forget completely about other people's needs. For example last weekend. I had decided to return to take some photos of my own and asked Verna to model for me. She did so good that I kept forgetting about how cold it actually was...

12 comments:

  1. hihi, toi kolmas on kyllä huippu! ja pakko sanoa: matt corby, oijoijoi! rakkautta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. thanks! my friend jelena shot me so these aren't really my photos :) only did some editing to make them a bit more dreamy!

      Delete
  3. A i v a n mahtavia kuvia!! Wautsi!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eiks ooki? vaikka itse sanonkin, hyvältä näyttää xD jelena (kuvaaja) varmasti myös kiittää :)

      Delete
  4. Hi, thank you so much for dropping by my blog. You remind me so much of my friend and your blog name almost similar. Her blog's : photodiaries.tumblr.com

    Followed you, woman! You're freakin' AWESOME. <#

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you so much, really appreciate it! Haha, def gonna check her out as well ;---)

      Delete
  5. Kerrassaan hienoja. Sulla on ihanat silmät.
    Sen sä jo tiesitkin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. huh, kiitos, ihan punastun täällä!

      Delete